Subject: LineLink FAQ Part 1 of 2
From: [email-masked] (Loudon Campbell)
Date: 3 Dec 1993 17:36:19 -0600
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm

Summary of info on LineLink144e and help if you are having trouble.

Part 1 of 2

Divided into two parts. Second part only contains Fax info.

Version 1.2.1: December 3 1993. (Previous version 1.1 Oct 30 1993)
Major Changes: 
   MaxFax is reported to be 32bit clean. 
   Retractions from those that claimed it wasn't. 
   (Apologies to MaxFax team at Prometheus especially Milt Sagen)
   Added comments for buyers.
   Prometheus email address corrected.
   More complete updated info on TIES behavior.
   Changed printed form of escape sequence to make easier to upload file.
   Lots of minor changes and additions. 

Please inform me of any information below that is incorrect or you can add. 

Loudon Campbell   
email: [email-masked]
{If I don't respond campus accounting has messed our accounts again}
Try [email-masked] but only if you are desperate.

Thanks to the many people who responded to questions or tried some of my 
not too bright suggestions. Or even corrected my blunders.
I am not a modem guru, just a reasonably happy LineLink owner.

A (LONG) list of contributers will be added here in the next version. 

 

GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL GENERAL

 Generally the LineLink144e arrives at your door in one of three states.
  a) Works fine out of the box.
  b) Came with a defective/ mismatched/non-hardware handshaking cable
  c) Dead on arrival (usually fails self-test). 
     MacWarehouse will cheerfully replace the modem/cable if its found 
     defective in the first 30days. They pay shipping both ways.

The number of problems decreased very quickly (especially cables).

Here are the facts (confirmed):

-$99 from Macwarehouse, next day delivery $3 -True 14.4k data modem 

Macwarehouse order phone number: 800-255-6227
Their email is  [email-masked]

- FULL Error correction and data compression (v.42/v.42bis/MNP-5) 
  In theory speeds can get up to 57,600 bps (Don't expect to see this)

- Has all the old standards (V.21/V.22/V.23, Bell 103). As well as 
  modern V.32 (9600) and V.32 bis (14400).I.e. works from
  75 baud all the way up to full 14,400. 

- Truly useless manual and documention. Manual is 28 pages (This counts
  blank pages even).  This is the worst feature of buying this modem.
  S-Registers for this particular modem are detailed in document found 
  on the Prometheus BBS. Not printing a manual saves money I agree. 
  But how about a decent manual on disk? Anyone at MacWarehouse
  Prometheus/ Technology Concepts listening? 

- Manufactured by Prometheus for Technology Concepts Inc for MacWarehouse.
 { I.e. a Prometheus modem in a plain white case}

- HARDWARE capable to 14.4K faxes 
  If you own Fax Software it will probably work with correct init strings.
  Works with FaxStf, QuickLink II. See the end of this message for detailed 
  setups of FaxStf. Works with other mac and PC fax software but no details
  are available (see end of message for short ones).

- SOFTWARE  Upgradeable to fax.  
 The software Fax upgrade ($29.95) is MaxFax (version 3.3.1 was what I got).
 Its made by Prometheus, its very actively being improved, and has a lot of
 features. It is 32bit clean. (Its confused with Macknowledge). All people who
 I could get hold of that claimed it wasn't 32bit clean retracted their claims.
 The MaxFax manual is very complete (112 pages), very good. Could be better
 organized, i.e. important info on setup is in chapter 5 , (I.e. MaxFax modem
 settings should be same a Promodem 144e). Also doesn't mention 14.4K fax at
 all and what Fax init strings are needed to enable features.(i.e. for 
 instance Silent Answer, adaptive answer etc). It appears pretty slick but I 
 don't know much about Faxing, those that do seem pretty happy.

- MAY support Voice mail and caller ID.  This is based on fact issuing command
 ATI4 which gives response
 SERIAL * V32BIS * V42BIS * VOICE 2.2 * TIES * CID * V23 * SRFAX *
  Don't buy this modem if you need Voice and caller ID unless someone confirms 
  they actually work. Prometheus denies that it has any voice mail capabilities
  or caller ID. They say this was an accident and didn't update this string.
  However they also initially denied that it was a TIES modem when in fact it
  is. MaxFax does NOT support voice mail on this modem though it does on the
  Prometheus Home Office models.

- Reportedly uses Seirra chip set 

- Includes hardware handshaking cable and power supply
  Some of the cables being sent out were incorrect (Before Oct 1993 at least) 
  and are responsible for a lot of the early reports of trouble.

- Communication Software supplied is MacKnowledge. 
  The bundled terminal software (MacKnowledge) is old, doesn't support modern 
  standards like zmodem, and doesn't work in 32bit mode (hence doesn't work at 
  all on newest macs). MacKnowledge is distributed by Prometheus but not 
  developed there. For a very few people this is good enough software. But 
  those same people don't need high speed modems. Most people install it and 
  then throw it in the trash. There are lots of basic free or shareware 
  alternatives which are better. Also consider side-grades to other 
  communication software.

- Also includes weather forecasting software (Why??) 

- Comes with AppleTalk Remote scripts that seem to work. 

- Technical Support is provided by MacWarehouse. (Which given a tough question
  then tells you to call Prometheus or Technology Concepts). 

- Nothing written on warranty, but a call to Technology Concepts said it's 
 1 year warranty and 30 day money-back, and Warehouse said 
 30-days or 40-days  and NO money-back., so I really don't know. Buy it on
 a credit card that gives extended warranties. Second its computer equipment! 
 Generally its outdated and obsolete long before it breaks. Low voltage 
 electronics generally dies either in first few hours of use or from heat. 
 My linelink runs very cool (many people say theirs run hot though). 

- Dimensions: Cheap, clean white plastic 1.75"x7"x8" , Size of hardcover novel 
- The modem has a cheap built-in speaker.
- Instead of seperate Receive Data and Send Data lights, it has only an
   I/O light. Some people really dislike this. The other lights are  
   AA (Auto Answer) CD (Carrier Detect), OH (on hook), MR (moden ready) 
   are the only other LEDs.
- First batch (including mine) used slide on/off switch.
  Later versions use rocker switch (better).

SHOULD I BUY IT - SHOULD I BUY IT -SHOULD I BUY IT - SHOULD I BUY IT 

 I bought mine mid September1993 and have only relatively minor problems so far. 

Keep in mind a few points. When this modem came out (early September 1993) the 
response to the $99 price on a v42bis, v32bis, S/R FAX modem was overwhelmingly
         "Hey if it sounds too good to be true , it probably is"
There is an element of sour grapes (i.e. people who bought $250 modems a year
ago). Modems (for Macs) with these features were generally in the $180 plus 
category. In PC world though prices were at or below $130 so it really
wasn't much of a suprize to see a bare bones $100 box. 
      
  People received the modems and confirmed they had all the good features.
 The argument then shifted to the quality of the modem, docs, and its 
software. Personally I find the quality adequate, docs stink (but you can
download info that is a good subsitute), Fax software very good, Comm
software horrible.

Lowest cost alternative (ignoring closeouts) at moment (Nov 1993) is SupraFAXLC
144. This includes a copy of MicroPhoneLT (good terminal package), FaxSTF LC
software  (good but versions 2.x.x have problems on Mac AV class computers, 
to be fixed in 3.x) . Price ranges from $159 to $169 as of November 1993. 
At least one person bought both a LineLink and SupraFAXLC 144, and returned 
the LineLink. However, the SupraFAXLC also has a bad reputation on the net, 
so its not exactly a super modem either.Other possible alternatives might by 
Intel 14.4 sold by Eggheads ($149 but Windows/DOS software only) or AT&T which 
are around $185. This is by no means exclusive i.e. Zoom Supra, Xytel, Hayes and
so on.  

Short amateur opinions on who should or should not buy this modem.

 DEFINITELY SHOULD people.
   You own a 1200/2400 baud modem, have software you like and mostly call local 
   BBS'es.

   You want to dial into a Unix server using SLIP or PPP etc.

   You want to dial in to the local office using ARA -AppleTalk Remote Access. 

 PROBABLY SHOULD people.
   You want FAX , have terminal software you like, but don't have FAX software. 
   (So price with MaxFAX is $99 + $29.95 +$3)

  
 SHOULD NOT people.

   You make many long distance connections or live where phones service is very
   poor.

   Need a good terminal program and don't want to use any of the freeware
   shareware alternatives.

   Your lively hood depends on the modem working flawlessly. 

TECH SUPPORT TECH SUPPORT TECH SUPPORT TECH SUPPORT TECH SUPPORT 

The manual is next to useless unless you have already used modems
before. The S-registers are not covered in any way whatsoever.
The S-registers covering data transfers are detailed in a document
found on the Prometheus BBS. (LineLinkSREG.TXT or 144E SREG.TXT 
or something like that). Its been posted once. I have asked
permission from Prometheus to post it here. 

(part of description of S12 seems wrong and default value on S1
 appears to be typo i.e. 0 not 43)
 
If you want DETAILED info on AT commands
  "The Hayes command set" according to Hayes including S-registers
 is documented in a document at oak.oakland.edu  {Simtel20 mirror}  
    in /pub/msdos/modem/trm20.zip.

 You will need to unzip the file either on a PC or Mac. The document 
 is far too big to post here.

 Note the LineLink may not strictly adhere to the Hayes command set.
 &R0 and &R1 are particular examples as well at TIES behavior. See
 BUGS later.

 It is in our interest to keep asking the manufacturer for better info.

With the above documents you should be nearly fully informed on the
data features of your modem. 

The technical support number through MacWarehouse is (1-800-925-6227). 
MacWarehouse can be reached at: [email-masked].
The tech I talked to initially didn't even have a MANUAL for the LineLink!
They have improved but are still pretty useless as of November 1993.

  Prometheus Sales 1-800-477-3473 , 1-503 -692-9600
  Prometheus Tech Support: 503-692-9601
  Prometheus BBS: 503-691-5199
  Prometheus FAX: 503-691-1101

The correct internet email for Prometheus tech support is  
       [email-masked]
This does work, they do take some time getting back however.
Apparently the previous address:   [email-masked] doesn't work .

In general ask questions on internet (AOL, or Compuserve ??) 

Usenet newsgroups
 comp.sys.mac.comm
 comp.dcom.modems
 comp.dcom.fax
 comp.sys.mac.hardware

QUICK  HELP QUICK  HELP QUICK  HELP QUICK  HELP QUICK  HELP QUICK  HELP QUICK

Use the cable out of the BOX the modem came in. Prometheus is shipping 
correct cables for the most part. There are some problems here but
trust the cable in the BOX until you have eliminated software troubles. 
Don't use any old cable you have laying around unless you know how it is
wired (You did test it with a ohmmeter , when you bought it ? SURE!).
Its far more likely the cable in the box is correct than even a cable
that was sold to you as a Hardware Handshaking cable at an Apple dealer.
After you have elimated software trouble, then suspect the cable, then
the modem. Yes there are bad cables and modems. So definitely send it
back if it doesn't work after trying all the stuff here. 

When you first get your modem, do the following commands after it is plugged
in etc from a terminal program (Macknowledge will do in a pinch)
ATZ
AT&F
AT&F3
AT&W0
AT&W1

The command ATZ resets the modem. 
The commands &F (same as &F0) and &F3 resets the active profile to 
factory defaults. No, I don't know what the difference is between 
AT&F and AT&F3. Anyone care to find out from Prometheus? 
AT&W0 and AT&W1 save the active profile to permanent storage so next time
you power on your modem this will be the settings you will be using in
case you forget the advice to be given later.

The command AT&V will print out the present settings. You might
include this info in email if you are having trouble. (There are some 
differences between shipping modems, you can compare it with the manual
defaults, &R0 is commonly different as well as \V1 ).

DO THE ABOVE OR YOU MAY REGRET IT!! You have been warned!!

Also System 7.1 has trouble with serial ports on some systems. The
hardware enabler supposedly fixes this problem. Again this is generic
advice not specific to this modem. 

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

In general as a RULE OF THUMB start your init strings with AT&F or
AT&F3  (I.e. start at Factory Defaults which for most part are excellent)

The defaults in general are excellent.  With a working modem and cable you
should not have to make significant changes to AT&F. 
If you don't at least TRY this don't ask for help. (and yes it may
not work, but it does help many people)

You may also try ATZ&F which also resets the state of modem in addition.
This is string used in ARA script included with the linelink. 
  
Make sure Z proceeds, &F which proceeds the rest of the init string.
For example, AT&FW1&C1 not ATW1&C1&F.

However some software will send its init string and then APPENDS the
init string you enter to it , this would then violate the rule that
&F (or Z&F) has to be first. If you have full info on the software
you can include any needed settings in your init string.
If the program sends your init string FIRST then its init string this 
doesn't apply, again AT&F is good choice. Apparently MaxFax is one 
example of such a program (Source Mark Smith at Prometheus). 
For MaxFax, what seemed to work the best for some 
people is to use ANOTHER program to set ATZ&F before starting MaxFax. 
Stay tuned to this channel for the next exciting episode !! I will 
try to get better info on this. 

Don't use hardware hangup to hang up the phone for data calls. Leave
factory setting of &D0 alone unless you really know what you are doing.
A lot of people/software include &D1, &D2, &D3 etc in init string these
are all some form of hardware hangup using the DTR pin. (Only good reason 
to use anything besides &D0 (i.e. ignore DTR) is your software may not be 
able to send the commands!). (You MIGHT Ignore this advice on FAX for moment)

You cannot use full hardware handshaking and hardware hangup at the same 
exact time. This is mac specific trouble with any modem.  
 (See BUGS section , especially the cable diagram).   

In otherwords if you want top speed you have to use software hangup some of 
the time. Why not use it all the time and make life simple? 

To use software hangup i.e. send string
  "Wait Guard Time" + + + "Wait Guard Time" ATH "return" where "Wait Guard 
Time" means wait at least the guard time (register S12 in 60'th of a second). 
"return" is of course the return key. 

You can also experiment with &R0 and &R1 etc in your init string, but read 
manual,and section on BUGS later before even thinking about it.

The default value of S7,  wait time for carrier is 40 seconds should be
fine but you can increase it to 60 seconds if modem hangs up before 
carrier is detected.

Registers S9 (Carrier Detect Time default 6) and S10 (Carrier loss time 
default 14) are in tenth's of second and are reasonable but often need 
adjustment on other modems. S10 minus S9 is the longest time you can have 
a phone line disconnected in tenth's of a second. Hence if phone line quality 
goes to hell for  (14-6)/10 =0.8 seconds for default values you lose carrier
and at best it will renegotiate to a lower speed at worse it will hang up. 
I don't have this problem normally so I can't test how effective a solution 
this would  be to those with difficulty on long distance. Can't hurt to try it 
except on your phone bill.

Personally I start with the init string AT&FW1L3&C1. 
 &F resets to factory default.  
 &C1 lets the CD light on the modem actually indicate whether there is a 
  connection or not.  Not needed but handy.  
 W1 lets us see message COMPRESSION: V.42BIS etc. Not needed but handy.
 L3  just increases volume on CHEAP speaker so I can hear whats going on. 

You could save these settings using AT&W0 or whatever your personal
preference, keep in mind software can change settings so best to start
from factory defaults which software can't change.

Following is typical phone connection (Dial in to US Robotics v32bis, v42bis) I
used zterm, with hardware flow control on. Hardware hangup OFF. Baud rate set to
57600 (I know wishful thinking but we can hope!). 
Here is EXACTLY as it appears on our system as I dial in.

AT&FW1L3&C1
OK
atdt 475-9996

CARRIER 14400

PROTOCOL: LAP-M

COMPRESSION: V.42BIS

CONNECT 57600

Note we have  LAP-M error correction  and V.42BIS compression . The carrier is
14400 which means we have v32bis. The connection between my Mac and modem is
57600. At the Unix end (you can't tell it from above) the receiving modem is
connected to the modem at 38400, so I personally cannot exceed 38400 on our
dialups . Keep this type of thing in mind when judging speed. If you get
different responses above it is very likely that the modem on the other end
doesn't support one of the above standards, or is not set up correctly.

Know what you are dialing into.  If you get a 9600 baud connection on a modem
that someone claims to be 14.4K , maybe the modem on the other end doesn't use
V32bis but an older proprietary format.

 TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING

How to test your modem .  Most of Procedure is from tech support (except for
things they forgot to tell me like you need to escape + + +).  First this is a
very incomplete test. If it fails send the cable AND modem back. If it passes 
you still may have a bad cable or more rarely a bad modem .

Use provided Mac to modem cable. Turn power on Modem , Mac etc. You need not
plug in phone line to do test. Start up terminal program. I used MacKermit
myself , but zterm, or MacKnowledge should be fine. First set your terminal
software to 14400 baud or lower. Unless you have setting at exactly 14400 you
will probably set it at 9600 baud.  Don't enable hardware or software flow
control in your software. {Might work but I didn't try it} The test procedure is
shown below.  I added some comments and put prompts "You>" and "Modem>" in.
Don't type "Type>" and "Modem>" or the comments.  But do type in carriage
returns on input.
  You> Means you type it in.
  Modem> Means the modem responds with this line.
  !   Means this is a comment I added to clarify whats going on . Excluding
prompts and comments this is exactly what happened on mine.

You>atz
Modem>OK
You>at&f3
Modem>OK 
You>at&f0
! Modem is set competely to factory defaults.
Modem>OK
You>at&q0
! This disables hardware flow control hence v42bis. Hence v42bis is NOT tested.
Modem>OK
You>at s18=0
! This is redundant, since factory defaults were reset above.
Modem>OK
You>at&t8
Modem>OK
! Modem flashes MR light until you enter next line.
You>+ + + at&t0
Modem>000
! The 000 means no errors were detected. If nonzero send LineLink back. 
Modem>OK
You>at&t1
Modem>CONNECT 9600
You>This is stuff I typed in.+ + +
! Should echo everything you type until you exit with + + + (No spaces)
Modem>OK
You>at&t0
Modem>OK

MacKnowledge   MacKnowledge    MacKnowledge    MacKnowledge  MacKnowledge 

Warning!!!! MacKnowledge is not 32bit clean Warning!!!!  

READ THIS!!! MaxFax IS 32bit clean, however.

On some of the new macs 24bit mode is not an option (OUCH!). 

Lots of people have been using the string that MacKnowledge auto configs.
Come on people look at the copyright (1989!!!) on the splash screen.
On my modem after auto configuring MacKnowledge suggests
ATL2M1X4Q0V0W1E1S0=0H0
AT&F0V0W1H0 would have done exactly the same thing and been much safer. 
(V0 gives numeric responses which is what MacKnowledge requires)
(H0 hangs up, which isn't a bad idea to put in an init string but not a good
 idea if you switch between telecom programs on the same call)
MacKnowledge suggests \N3\V1\Q3 for turning on error correction.
N3 turns on MNP error correction not V42 or LAPM. So wrong !!!
So here would be my suggestions

If you want to be simple AT&F0V0 for init string and nothing for either error 
string.

If you want to be fancy.
AT&F0V0W1H0L3&C1 for init string
 \N6 for error control string
 \N0 for non error control string.

Note \V1 may be needed depending on your factory defaults.

ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM ZTERM

Read the manual, read the zterm FAQ that is on info-mac archives. Follow
directions on high speed modems. Use current stable system software etc.

In any case.
 Do not use hardware hangup.
 Do use FULL hardware flow control (CTS and RTS).
 Set baud to 57600 or 38400 (unless you have slow mac where 19200 is needed).
 Set timeout to about 60 seconds. 

Its in zterm manual to do all this but never hurts to remind.

I Personally suggest using the init string 
     AT&F^M   (the ^M is how Zterm enters the return key)
If you are doing a large number of manual connections try AT&FW1L3&C1^M

Personally this works fine for downloads for me. Other people using
many different settings report success uploading and downloading.
{Including just AT&F^M }.

Most people report smooth sailing or real problems using Zterm. 
SLIP is officially supported here. Zmodem is not.  No one here can get it
to work reliably under any situation at high speeds without crippling
the protocol (i.e. setting window size small) I just wanted to 
point out this to remind everyone that it may be broken on the other
end of the phone line, not your modem or software at all.

Fastest speed I personally have had is 3400cps (about 27000 baud)
in text downloads using zterm. For compressed files 1400cps.

To use zterm for uploads on our unix system I needed to use a window limit
of 256 bytes. This is not the modem! Your system may very well work with 
2048 byte windows packets. However it is a common problem. 
This seems to be a generic problem on our campus (i.e. same problem using 
direct serial connected micom ports with kermit packets of 1024 bytes). 
Similiar problem using SLIP packets of 1500 bytes, but no problem with 1006 
bytes. For this reason I can give only limited help on zterm.

SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP SLIP

InterSlip 1.0 and 1.01 both work fine.  It can be ftp'ed from ftp.intercon.com
{ In  InterCon/Sales subdirectory  }. Its free.

MacTCP itself you will have to get elsewhere. Once upon a time Eudora
included MacTCP 1.0.x , though you aren't suppose to use it except 
with Eudora. If you don't have MacTCP and no site license at your location 
this is the cheapest way to get MacTCP 2.0.x legitimately is to buy 

The Internet Starter Kit for Macintosh, by Adam C. Engst.
  Published by Hayden Books. ISBN# 1-56830-064-6. $29.95 U.S.A.
 
This book covers a lot of internet stuff. It includes a disk with
MacTCP (2.02 at last printing)  , Fetch, etc etc. You can get just 
about everything you need from the book and disk. Its also reported to be 
very good introductory book. (Adam can write, read tidbits!).

The software (excluding MacTCP 2.0x but including the updater) can be
found at

ftp.tidbits.com <192.135.191.2>

you can also find most of it at info-mac archives on sumex.stanford.edu
or a mirror site. (Or plugging a local site:  microlib.cc.utexas.edu)

I have uploaded and downloaded now about 30 megs worth of data without
incident (excluding times I was hit with the MacTCP timeout bug).

Settings
 Use hardware flow control.
 AT&F works fine as init string (You can use something fancier also).
 Use the Hayes Compatable Dial script.  
 You can modify the ARA script (change file type to TEXT to edit it).
 If you do that you can use compression, and use hangup effectively.
 Not worth the trouble, the Hayes default works fine except for hangup.

  
Remember that if it doesn't hook up to the server , it may require
   changing the provided script. I had to make two changes to the
   provided script { I.e. on our server I needed a line "terminal download"
   and to start slip I needed "slip default" instead of just "slip".

I have used MacSlip 1.01, InterSlip 1.0, InterSlip 1.01 with MacTCP 1.1.1
 (patched and unpatched) and MacTCP 2.0.2 with few problems.  

I have used TurboGopher 1.07, Fetch, WAIS, X-ferit 1.5beta, etc with only
the expected problems. (MacTCP timeouts with MacTCP 1.1.1).
Actually only X-ferit 1.5b reliably gave me MacTCP timeouts after I applied 
the patch to MacTCP 1.1.1 that can be found on Sumex.  X-ferit is oldest 
software that I tried. Have also used MacTCP 2.0.4 , seems to eliminate
most problems. 

MacSlip 1.01 works also. Same comments apply. I will get around to 
MacSlip 2.0.2 real soon now (Sure!). 

File transfer rates of binhexed and compressed files are around 1200cps.
For text files I think I saw a maximum of 2000cps. Keep in mind SLIP
uses small packets (1500 bytes or less).  Hence compression is not very useful.
Furthermore compression slows response (and hence increases probability
to be hit by the MacTCP bug).  At least that's my theory. Actually I switched
to a smaller packet value (from 1500 down to 1006) and have far fewer time
out problems and faster file transfers (i.e. up to 3000cps now). Seems to be
a "feature" of our server.  

MacPPP has been reported to work even better than MacSlip InterSlip. 

BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS

People have had trouble on international calls (Not calls from say Britain to
Britain) but say US to Canada, US to Britain. (Yes the modem can be
set to British/European dialing standards). 
Many people report trouble trying to estabilish or maintain connections
on long distance lines , shared telephone lines (i.e. appletalk on phonenet
and phone wires being shared), and even nearby AM radio stations.

The conclusion is the LineLink is more sensitive to noise than many other 
current modems. Keep in mind noise on telephone lines exist (ISDN where are
you!) and the LineLink is much better than a conventional 2400 baud modem
or even a 9600 baud modem without V.42 error correction. All high speed
modems are sensitive to noise, its only a matter of degree.

On my modem I have successfully transfered data even when I pick up the
portable phone and keep it off the hook. It retrains (MR light goes off
and modems renogotiate, MR light comes back on). It then transfers at 
a slower rate. If I talk into the phone too long it will disconnect.This
is exactly what it should do. On the other hand I have had wierd
experiences with long distance calls in general.

Bottom line is if you are using average or better phone lines you should
be fine. Noisy lines MAY give trouble. Avoid this modem if you do much
long distance, unless you plan on buying , trying it and returning it
if you are not satisfied.  

One person bought 4 LineLinks, after about 8 Hours of being on unattended
they had to be reset manually. 
This seems to be generic problem with Linelink in that only power on and 
power off seems to solve strange problems. 

People have reported that the Linelink is about 15% slower than other modems
in side by side comparisons. 

One person reported his power supply transformer burned up (literally). 
They are cheap transformers, but are UL listed , so I doubt this is common.

Plenty of Dead on Arrival modems. I suspect that reseting to factory defaults
would have "fixed" a lot of the modems sent back to MacWarehouse, however
it is very clear that a lot of the modems are defective also either due to 
bad cables or the modem itself.

Most other mis-behavior attributed to hardware are probably are from 
incorrect software setup or incorrect cables or bad modem.

There are at least 3 correct but different Mac to Modem cables that were
 shipped with the LineLink.  At least 2 wrong styles also. One  "correct"
cable requires require an internal jumper to be in the modem.
  Prometheus seems to be trying to get it right so I suspect that modems 
shipping after say Nov 1 1993 should be fine.  

A correctly wired Hardware Handshaking Cable is as follows.(Apple Recommended)

Macintosh Mini DIN-8 (male end of cable that plugs into Mac)
    6   7   8
    o   o   o
  o3   o4   o 5
      o    o 
      1    2

Mac DIN-8         Modem (DB-25)
1 (HSKout)  ->  4 (RTS) +  (optionally) 20(DTR)
2 (HSKin)   <-  5 (CTS)
3 (TxD-)    ->  2 (TxD)
4 (GND)    <->  7 (Signal Gnd)
5 (RxD-)    <-  3 (RxD)
6 (TxD+)    --  NONE
7 (GPi)     <-  Pin 8 (DCD)
8 (RxD+)    <-  7 (Gnd)

Note that there is only one output HSKout that can be used for
giving non-data information to the modem from the Mac.

Modem 20(DTR) pin is used to hangup the modem or go into command
 mode. Both features can be handled easily via software. There is
 a  delay however using software hangup, hence the popularity
 of hardware hangup.  Pin 20 MUST be hooked up to have hardware
 hangup. If it is hooked up however the RTS handshaking cannot
 be used at the SAME exact time. 
 The simplest way to do that is to always ignore DTR (AT&D0).
 You must then use software hangup 
 (i.e. "Wait Guard Time"+ + +"Wait Guard Time" ATH "Return" etc).

In otherwords the cable above has no disadvantages once you are aware of the 
above and can configure your software fully.  

You will see this advice is not followed in the FAX setup at the end of this 
 message (FaxSTF instructions state use &D2, same with MaxFax) . There
appears to be a reason for this which I will include in the Fax section.

So far the above applies to ANY high speed modem on the Mac.
The problem is the serial ports on the Mac, not the modem.

Now here is where it gets interesting in terms of the LineLink.
There is a big mix up of cables, modems and misinformation.

The following info is summary of info received from Milt Sagen at Prometheus.
 There are three cables whose inventory tracking numbers are
     CBL-06, CBL-10, "ZOOM cables".  
      All SHOULD be wired as above except the jumper between 4 (RTS) 
      and 20 (DTR) may or may not be present.
  CBL-06 cables will only work with the modems that have the internal 
  RTS-DTR jumper. To determine if yours does look on bottom of modem.
  These modems are marked "LineLink 14.4 (MAC)" on the label.
  Gpi is supposed to be hooked up on all cables that met specs. All
  cables are hardware handshaking. 

In my case my modem has "LineLink 14.4" on the label on the bottom of
modem case. It should not have the jumper. Its factory default is &R0 
not &R1 like the manual states.
From the manual
 &R0  PC Mode. DTR and RTS signals function normally.
 &R1  Mac Mode. When the modem is configured for bidirectional RTS/CTS
 flow control (&K3 or \Q3) the DTR signal is recognized as RTS by the 
 modem. DTR and RTS signals function normally with all other &K
 or \Q settings.

Official word from Prometheus (Mark Smith) is 
>At this point, the &R command is not an implemented command.  It is one of
>those things that they planned to put in and so the documentation refers to
>the command - but the modem does not actually respond to this command in the
>manner described.

This leaves the question of whether &R does something else (i.e. what 
Hayes specifications call for). Until this is pinned down there is nothing
to do but try both &R0 and &R1 and see if this helps your particular
situtation (though always start with the factory default).  

Now to provide a speculative (but educated) guess as to the problems.
The CBL-06 cable may have mac pin 1 to mac pin 20 (DTR) but rest like
  Apple recommends. Any one care to confirm?

ASSUME CBL-06 cables were ordered with the intent that &R would be
implemented and default set at &R1 (as per manual). ASSUME the cables were 
wired with Mac (HSKout)  ->  20(DTR). Which would have worked if &R1 were 
implemented. Now the cables and the modems went out without &R1 implemented
some other cables (CBL-10 etc) were sent out with this first batch of
modems. People who received CBL-06 cables couldn't use Hardware handshaking
since CTS wasn't hooked up. (Ouch!!). ASSUME Prometheus has a ton of CBL-06
cables in the warehouse but not too many LineLink's , they start manufacturing
LineLinks with the internal jumper connected i.e. "LineLink 14.4 (MAC)" these
LineLinks work as they should with CBL-06 (or CBL-10 or ZOOM). All's great
except for the old stock with "LineLink 14.4" which gets mixed up. 

End speculation , back to facts.

In my case my modem has "LineLink 14.4" on the label on the bottom of
modem case. It should not have the jumper. The cable I received was 
wired correctly (i.e. DTR and RTS jumpered in cable) except GPi wasn't
hooked up, I haven't checked the replacement yet. On my modem &R0 is
the default (not like manual). In otherwords even though I got mine
in mid September I got lucky and it works (except for carrier detect). 

If the modem works with software handshaking with init string
AT&F&Q0 up to 9600 baud  (with terminal program set at 9600baud) 
and doesn't connect and stay connected using factory defaults (AT&F) 
then suspect a bad cable. If you can't get 9600baud at all then the
modem itself is probably bad (or a cable that is total garbage). 

So bottom line is try &R1 or &R1 if you are nervous about getting the 
right  cable with the right modem on slim chance it might really be
implemented.  Also use &D0 unless there is a real good reason not to 
(its factory default).

Prometheus is good about trying to get this straightened out, it was
a real mess the first two months. (And only marginally better now in
terms of mis-information)

The LineLink appears to employ TIES (Time Independent Escape Sequence) 

Escaping is the process of making the modem going into command mode to accept 
modem commands from data mode (i.e. transfering files etc).

Rumour has it that TIES was created to avoid paying Hayes a royalty 
(3% of modem price in one court case, according to a Hayes employee) 
on the patent it holds. 

In order not to accidently trigger this behavior in this file,  I am going to 
write three pluses +++ as + + +, i.e. with spaces.  This is only so the file 
can be easily uploaded, don't include spaces when typing. 

A TIES modem goes immediately into command mode (i.e. accepts AT commands) if
           + + +AT"return"
is typed at any speed with anything before or after it. 

In otherwords if you are trying to transfer a file that "happens" to have this 
sequence of 6 ASCII characters it will stop in mid transfer. The program you
are using is then likely to hang (because it still thinks the modem is in
data mode).  This is dangerous behavior. There is no warning and if it happens 
on a file it happens each and every time 
To be fair the half life is gigabytes of random Ascii data before 
you would expect to trigger the behavior. But real data is not random! 

In contrast the Hayes standard requires that if you type in 
    "Wait Guard Time"+ + +"Wait Guard Time" 
has effect of going to command mode. Where "Wait Guard Time" is a pause 
in input of at least the guard time. 

This is exactly the behaviour described in the LineLinks manual.

The guard time is stored in register S12 in 50th of a second.  
Hayes standard has 1 Second (S12=50).
LineLink has S12=40. We can reset S12 to 50 or more but thats not a problem.

Note that the S-register info on S12 given in the document on the
Prometheus BBS contradicts the manual on the behaviour of the
second guard time.

My experiments with the LineLink using Zterm produce the following.

With S12=40 , I initially got very sporadic results. I don't understand 
some of the behaviour but some of it can be attributed with fact that the 
line pacing in zterm is set by default at 40/60 'th of a second 

With S12=200 , I got the following behavior consistent with a guard time 
of about 3.5 seconds.

+ + +AT"return"                           escape independent of where EXCEPT
+ + + +AT"return"                         doesn't escape. 
"Wait Guard Time"+ + +"Wait Guard Time"   escapes
+"Wait Guard Time"+ + +"Wait Guard Time"  doesn't escape
"Wait Guard Time"+ + + x"Wait Guard Time" doesn't escape
"Wait Guard Time"x + + +"Wait Guard Time" doesn't escape

In otherwords it behaves like a TIES modem that also obeys the Hayes standard, 
but has wierd behavior when doing combinations involving four pluses in a row. 
This may be "correct" behavior but its still bizarre.   

In previous version of this post I reported "Wait Guard Time"+ + + would escape 
without the second guard time, I now can't reproduce that behaviour. Some 
people have reported + + + without an initial "Wait Guard Time" escapes.  
My guess is there are some bugs in the ROM on parsing the input in these
cases but who knows or cares anymore. 

None of this behavior is really that important in practice. Hayes
propaganda test files and documents on modems you are unlikely to trigger 
the behavior with real data. 

==========================================================================

Path: miner.usbm.gov!nntp.club.cc.cmu.edu!honeydew.srv.cs.cmu.edu!das-news.harvard.edu!noc.near.net!MathWorks.Com!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!howland.reston.ans.net!cs.utexas.edu!geraldo.cc.utexas.edu!emx.cc.utexas.edu!not-for-mail
From: [email-masked] (Loudon Campbell)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
Subject: LineLink FAQ Part 2 of 2 (Only covers FAX)
Date: 3 Dec 1993 17:37:37 -0600
Organization: The University of Texas - Austin
Lines: 252
Distribution: usa
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: emx.cc.utexas.edu

Summary of info on LineLink144e and help if you are having trouble.

Part 2 of 2

Divided into two parts. Second part only contains Fax info.

Version 1.2.1: December 3 1993. (Previous version 1.1 Oct 30 1993)
Major Changes: 
   MaxFax is reported to be 32bit clean. 
   Retractions from those that claimed it wasn't. 
   (Apologies to MaxFax team at Prometheus especially Milt Sagen)
   Added comments for buyers.
   Prometheus email address corrected (maybe).
   More complete updated info on TIES behavior.
   Changed printed form of escape sequence to make easier to upload file.
   Lots of minor changes and additions. 

Please inform me of any information below that is incorrect or you can add. 

Loudon Campbell   
email: [email-masked]

Most of this file contains second hand info on FAX's and I personally
can't help much (I do own a copy of MaxFax now). 

{If I don't respond campus accounting has messed our accounts again}
Try [email-masked] but only if you are desperate.

FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS FAX BUGS 

There are a lot of reports of hangups using FAX. Symptom most common
seen is modem answers, negotiates, and starts to receive first page then
hangs up. Also seen is modem goes on hook , starts to negotiate, hangs up.

Its been suggested that the second symptom seems to be curable by adding 
commas after phone numbersor possibly increasing register S7 to 60 from
its default value of 40. I.e. the modem is timing out before finding carrier.
This is unlikely to cure the first problem.

I am still waiting on tech support on this point. If anyone has any 
suggestions please contact me. 

Its been reported that that the ARA script may produce trouble for FAXes

However while we are waiting some speculation.

MaxFax and FaxSTF both suggest
&D2 (I.e. use DTR to hangup) in the init string. 

The following information from Rockwell manual as interpreted by Xytel
for a Class 2 Fax modem

>During fax mode, the DTE-DCE port speed is 19200 bps.
>
>The DCE provides a speed buffer of 1024 bytes and provides DC1/DC3 
>(XON/XOFF) or RTS/CTS method of controlling the data into the buffer.  
>This flow control is controlled by AT&K3 or AT&K4 command.
>>
>This method of data flow control is available only for DTE to DCE 
>direction of data.  There is no provision for data flow control from DCE 
>to DTE.

DTE to DCE data means Mac to Modem data. Which means modem signals Mac
to stop (via CTS). Since the RTS isn't being used for flow control in
this case the signal can be used to hangup the modem (&D2 for instance). 

In theory this should work but it depends a lot on the software being
very smart. For instance when is the Fax init string sent?

Anyone with any smart ideas on why so many hangups occur?  

MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX MaxFAX

The MaxFax software shipping now should be very easy to install. There
were some initial problems with installation which were fixed very quickly. 

MaxFax is very easy to install. Just boot without extensions (Be paranoid).
Double click on the installer. Follow directions.
Select Class 2 in the modem setup in the application.  
You should be ready to rock and roll.

The init string is set for you as &D2 when you select Class 2.
I personally think this is a bad choice. But I have confirmed this
is what Prometheus recommends.(Source Mark Smith at Prometheus)

MaxFax software will send its init string and then APPENDS the
init string you enter to it. Since Z or &F must be first you can't
set the modem back to factory defaults in MaxFax.
Solution is to reset the modem in another program before using MaxFax
or the old on/off switch. Don't know if this really helps or not but
it seems to.

Slick program with lots of bells and whistles (Nice job guys). 

FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf FaxStf

WARNING WARNING WARNING- The D2 part of init string has been associated
 with problems i.e. hangups and not receiving FAX's. You may not want to use
 it (i.e leave as factory default of D0). I suspect you should really be
 reading the manual on this software (i.e. factory defaults should be close). 
 With that said here are the posts on FaxSTF etc. I include one case where
 &D2 was not used with success.

FaxStf has been used by lots of people. However the majority (not all) have
used init strings with D2 in it (i.e. DTR detection). Here is one response
>I'm now successfully sending and _receiving_ faxes with my LineLink..
>after much experimentation.
>The thing is to reset (not while you're in the program)
>with AT&F0&W
>then..use the init string AT \Q1V1E
>No &D2

Note the advice aout reseting outside FaxSTF: Maybe they append the init
string at the end just like MaxFax?

From: David Hartman
Fax Settings for FaxSTF: Thanks Chuck Browning for these init strings. One other
user of a Linelink (Grady W. Chism)has successfully used them .

> The init strings for the IBM (generic class 2 fax) is: 
> AT&F&C1&D2S7=90\
This is the string used in WinFAx Lite 
> The init strings for the MAC (choose
the Sierra chipset) is: 
> AT\Q1&D2V1E  This is used in MacFax stf 
> I hope this
will be of value. 
> Chuck Browning

>In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Jerry Sy) writes: >yes.  it
works if you manually install driver for sierra chipset. >works at 9600 (send
and receive).  haven't tried 14.4. >(sierra is what the 800-number people say is
inside). >Don't forget to add &F to the FaxSTF init string. >Good Luck. > >The
following more detailed instructions on using FaxSTF was posted by  Karl.
{Sorry I don't have your full name}

>  It appears that a number of post have copped up concerning how to >configure
the LineLink 144e ($99 modem) to work with the FaxSTF software. >I've had FAXSTF
running now for the past 3 days and have experienced no >problems with
sending/recieving faxes nor conflicts with other comm >software (Versaterm Pro,
Zterm, etc.).  Thus, I'd though I'd share my >experience with setting up FaxSTF
to work with the LineLink with the net. >For those experienced with this
procedure - please forgive me if this seems >verbose, but some people may be
trying this for the first time or may not >be Mac-DemiGods and may want a bit of
hand-holding :-)

1. Make sure you have version 2.2.3 (or higher) of the FaxSTF software. 
2. Install the software from scratch.  Note: you may want to move any 
   phonebooks or coverpages you have previously created out of the FaxSpool
   folder before you install since the install will trash them. 
3. In the installation, you'll be presented with a dialog window which
   will allow you to select either the modem model or driver type.  Click 
   on the "Driver Type" radio button and then select "Class 2 for Sierra 
   based modems".

4. The next dialog is the standard install dialog.  Clickon the Install 
  button to install all of the software AND the driver.

5. You'll have to reboot your computer after the install.  Make sure that 
  your modem is turned on before the reboot or the modem won't be found
  and initialized. 
6. Go to the Chooser and select the FaxPrint driver.  Click on
  the SetUp button. 
7. In the SetUp dialog, click on the Fax Madem icon.  You'll see a number
  of settings, but the most important ones to look for are the send and
  recieve baud rates.  These should be set at 9600baud.
8. Click on the Fax Software icon.  Make sure that the "ON" radio button
  is highlited.  If it's not, go back to Step 2.  I don't know why, but 
  in MY experience with this software, if the software isn't turned on 
  AFTER the install then something didn't go right and you'll have to 
   re-install :

9. Click on the Modem Init icon and make sure that the modem
 init string >     says "AT\Q1&D2V1E" (no quotes in actual string).

10.That's it!  You're ready to rock and fax!
11. I've been able to send and recieve faxes.  The Quickfax software works 
 OK. I've been able to send faxes from inside MS Word, MacDraw, Canvas, and 
 ReadySetGo.  However, you can't fax EPS files without Freedom of Press.
 That's it. I hope this note can help others to get their modems working with 
 the FaxSTF software.

The following is another success story posted by Jack Z. Sun

------ Original Posting --------

        Here's a simple instruction to setup the Linelink for
        sending/receiving faxes with your FaxSTF software.
1. Double click on
the Installer icon (in disk 1);
2. On the "Modem Selection" window, check the
"Driver Type" radio button;
3. Scroll down the list, select "PN2388 for Sierra
based modems";
4. In the INIT String field, modify the "ATVE" to "AT\Q1V1E";
5. Click at "Install" button;
6. Decide if you want to install everything or only
to install the driver and stuff for the TCI modem. For the latter, just select
these items -

        - FaxMonitor
        - FaxStatus
        - FaxSoftware
        - ModemInit
        - FaxModem

7. Restart the Mac; 8. Go to the Chooser for "Setup". (Set the highest speed for
S/R, test your modem initialization string, enter your numbers and so on...)

NOTE: The "\Q1" part in the modem init string sets the modem to bidirectional
XON/XOFF. "&K4" may also be used for this (I don't quite know the difference
between the two). Under these installation/settings, my LineLink is functioning
very well in 14.4k s/r faxes: it attempts to send/receive at 14.4k, but will
sense the speed of the other end and auto adjust to match the speed.

NOTE2: The LineLink 14.4e uses the Sierra chipset, which is the one with the
diamond shaped microprocessor logo. When you select the "PN2388 for Sierra...",
the INFO box will tell you that "This is for modems based on Sierra
Semiconductor's chipset using the PN2388 specifications".

Jack Z. Sun 

----------
The following was in a seperate file, combined for convienence
----------
Path: miner.usbm.gov!nntp.club.cc.cmu.edu!news.mic.ucla.edu!library.ucla.edu!europa.eng.gtefsd.com!MathWorks.Com!noc.near.net!news.delphi.com!news.delphi.com!not-for-mail
From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
Subject: LineLink Advice.
Date: 5 Dec 1993 11:25:45 -0500
Organization: General Videotex Corporation
Lines: 65
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
NNTP-Posting-Host: news.delphi.com
Summary: Free advice re: $99 modem. Take it or leave it
Keywords: linelink $99 macwarehouse hell modem shit

OK, I just read the 56k LineLink FAQ. Very nice. Here's a shorter version.

I am a MacWarehouse Tech Support Representative.

I firmly believe that you get what you pay for when it comes to modems. If
you are really bored, have lots of time to play with the thing, and don't
mind getting disconnected every time your cat farts, buy the Linelink.

Otherwise, don't.

Look, in all seriousness, I provide support for the thing, and I wouldn't
buy it. Why?

o It is incredibly sensitive to line noise.
o Despite previous reports, including the FAQ, it does NOT use the Sierra
   chipset. It uses a modified clone of the Sierra chipset.
o Prometheus tech support (503-692-9601) is a busy signal. IF you can
   get through, you'll probably know more about the modem than the tech.
o The software that comes with the modem sucks. MacKnowledge is 32-bit
   dirty AND has an auto-configure option that screws the modem up.
   Always.
o The fax software is definitely incompatible with Appletalk Remote
   Access. Also, we belive we have found another incompatiblity: 
   The network control panel. 
o Prometheus tends to be clueless about this modem for one really good 
   reason: they didn't make it. TCI made a bunch of these things and then
   went under. Prometheus basically got a truckload of old modems, and 
   they're selling them cheaply. Perhaps this explains why the 
   software is from 1989?
o By the way, the smart-dial and the scripts in MacKnowledge basically
   suck, too. Be prepared to always dial with an "atdt" command.
o MW is selling so many of these things that we are swamped with calls.
  That's causing some serious tech resentment. Look, it's only
  natural: we don't believe in the product we're selling. Numerous
  phone calls to Prometheus have left me with the impression that many of 
  their techs are embarrassed by this thing as well. 
o Look, it's your money. For $99, you can get a modem. For $29.95 more, 
  you can get fax software for it. For free, you can get a 56k FAQ on 
  what you can do do make it all work. Or, for $165.95, you can buy a
  Supra FaxModem LC. With Microphone and STF. Or even better, spend the 
  whole $299 and get the Global Village Gold. MacWorld rated it the best
  for a reason.

Honestly, we at MW support everything we sell, up to a point. Each of us
has our own speciaties, and I tend to be regarded as one of the modem
experts. The thing is, we sell five or so different brands of modems, and
we SELL them; we don't make them. In other words, I think anyone
considering purchasing ANYTHING as complex as a modem needs to consider
the manufacturer's tech support. Untill they join the 20th century and
install some sort of a call queue, Prometheus's tech support is a busy
signal. THEY didn't even make the damned thing. They try, as do we, but
often times we're all clueless. If you've got as much time as the guy who
did the FAQ, buy the modem. You'll probably like it.

If you want it to work out of the box, don't.

These opinions represent my own views and should not be taken as any sort
of official anything from the groovy folks at MacWarehouse. 

Ken