Subject: Re: Using ][gs & AW3 with DJ500 &/or LJ4M
From: [email-masked] (Jim Pittman)
Date: 6 Feb 1994 04:59:01 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

[email-masked] Sun Feb 6 02:54:56 MST 1994 writes:

> I have a Mac, a MS-DOS/Windows machine and an Apple ][gs. Currently,
> the ][gs is either connected to an Okidata 92 (9-pin) or a typewriter
> (LQ) via a parallel cable. However, I also have a DeskJet 500 (not 
> DeskWriter) and a LaserJet 4M which I am interested in possibly using
> with AppleWorks 3.0 (not AWGS)....
>
> ....The DJ500 can be connected either by serial or parallel cables,
> and the LJ4M can be connected by serial, parallel or AppleTalk. I
> would prefer the DJ via parallel and the LJ via AppleTalk.

I have: IIgs, ImageWriter II, Grappler+, DeskJet 500, AppleWorks 3.0.

The ImageWriter II is connected to the modem port (I use my modem on my
Apple II Plus (SOFTERM-2, Supra 2400) so the IIgs port is available).

The DeskJet is connected to the IIgs by both serial and parallel cables:
  1) a Mac-to-ImageWriter-I cable connected to the IIgs printer port;
  2) a parallel cable connected to the Grappler+ in slot 1.

I have Pointless from Westcode and the Harmonie-HP drivers from Vitesse
to allow GS/OS programs (e.g., GraphicWriter III) to print to the Desk-
Jet via the Grappler+ while 8-bit programs can print to the DeskJet via
the built-in printer port.

I have Super Patch by John Link to allow AppleWorks 3.0 to print to the
DeskJet via the serial port. (I believe AppleWorks 4.0 offers the same
if not greater functionality with the DeskJet 500.)

DeskJet 500 Switch 1: 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0  Switch 2: 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0

IIgs printer port set to: No parity, 19200 baud, unlimited line length,
8/1, No del LF after CR, Yes add LF after CR, No echo, No buffering,
Yes DCD handshake, Yes DSR/DTR Handshake, No XON/XOFF Handshake.

IIgs modem port set to: Printer (all parameters standard Apple printer).

I believe the Grappler+ switches are all off.

So far this seems to work well. AppleWorks 3.0 CI=10 gives Courier 10
pitch, CI=12 gives Gothic 12 pitch, and CI=P1 or CI=P2 gives Times
proportional. GraphicWriter III and Beagle Draw print very nicely.

I don't know how to configure AppleWorks 3.0 for the Grappler+ so as to
print via the parallel card instead of the printer port.

I read somewhere to set the baud at 9600 instead of 19200 to avoid
problems, but so far I don't see this to be necessary.

I'm sure others on the net have more information (maybe they can correct
some of my errors?) and I await their comments.

- Jim Pittman - University of New Mexico - [email-masked]