Subject: Re: I shall *KILL* System 6's "finder.def" unless...
From: [email-masked] (David Empson)
Date: Fri, 27 May 1994 14:39:15 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

In article <[email-masked]>,
Denny E. Miller <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Ok, problem. I have been VERY annoyed with 6's constant saving of finder
> data to my disks. I have solved this with 5.0.4, but examining 6's
> "finder.def" shows that they changed its format with the new version of
> the Finder. Could somebody post (or mail me) the lowdown on "finder.def"
> for System 6? 

You shouldn't need to fiddle with finder.defaults.

Finder 6.0 and later have a "Preferences" menu item (under the
"Special" menu).  One of the options in there is "Save Finder
information onto disk".  Uncheck this, and Finder will no longer save
Finder.Root or Finder.Data files, unless you hold down the CONTROL key
at certain points (such as launching applications or closing windows).

This is described in Finder's on-line help, under "Saving Window
Positions".   There is further information in "Odds & Ends, Hints &
Tips", and probably more still in the "Shortcuts" file (on the
SystemTools2 disk, or in the same directory as Teach if you installed
it using the System 6.0.1 Installer).
-- 
David Empson
[email-masked]
Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand