Subject: A neat trick!
From: [email-masked] (Tony Kavadias)
Date: 29 Apr 92 00:24:18 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

Well!  What a cool experiment!  I managed to connect:

	A Macintosh IIsi (with an internal Apple HD 40SC) running System 7.0.1
	An Apple IIGS (with an Apple SCSI Card Rev C) running System 6.0
	An AppleCD SC Plus
and	An external Apple HD 80SC

all on one SCSI chain!  And it all works!  Beautifully!  Both machines can
simultaneously access the CD-ROM drive, and hard disks, in their respective
disk formats.

I formatted my external HD with a 32MB ProDOS partition (and the rest Macintosh)
and both systems have no problems sharing the hard disk!  (You'll need to take
your hard disk over to an LC with a IIe Card installed, and use the Apple IIe
Card software v2.0 to do prepare it - that's what I did.)  It's great!  And
with the MPW-IIGS C environment I'm running now, it's amazing how I'm able
to work on by Mac, and still use my IIGS whenever my Mac is compiling!

I love it!

The only thing you have to note is two things... the SCSI ID of the Apple II
SCSI Card, and the fact that if one CPU is using a device, the other CPU
has to wait until it finishes using it until it can start using the device
it wants to use.  (Remember, the SCSI bus is just that - a bus, and both
machines cannot use the bus at one time.)

Now I'm thinking of beginning a project to write software ends for both
machines, so I can transfer data from one machine to the other via the SCSI bus.
Give me a few months, and I'll see how it goes!  If I can do this, I can make
by setup a very productive one!  (It'll be great for sending compiled 65C816
binaries from MPW-IIGS over to the IIGS in one swift hit.)

I'm amazed at what I can do with my Apple II!  I guess it all wouldn't be
possible if I couldn't be able to change the SCSI ID of my SCSI card!

----

Which leads me to a question...

Does anyone with an Apple High Speed SCSI Card know if I can change the SCSI
ID of that card too?  If I can, I think I should try to get that card to
speed things up at the IIGS end.

Many thanks.

	Tony Kavadias
	Internet: [email-masked]