Subject: Mini FAQ - Apple II with high speed modem
From: [email-masked] (Richard Der)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 96 23:38:31 PDT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2.comm

This is the nascent FAQ for II's with high speed modems, inspired
by recent questions and answers that have been posed in
comp.sys.apple2.com. Please feel free to distribute it everywhere
and correct or add on to it. This FAQ is public domain (since the
info came from the public in the first place, it is only fitting).

Q: I have an Apple IIe and was wondering what is the fastest modem
   I can use on it.
A: The Super Serial Card and compatible serial cards max out at
   19200. As a result, 14.4 modems are the fastest modems that
   can be used on the IIe with a normal unmodified serial card.
   However, with an add on product called the Turbo ASB, which
   replaces the serial chip on a Super Serial Card or compatible,
   connection speeds of 38400, 57600, 115200 and 230000 are
   possible! On a IIe system with a serial card modified by a
   Turbo ASB, it is possible to use the fastest modems available
   (including 28.8 ones).
 
Q: Apple doesn't carry the Super Serial Card anymore, where do I
   find one.
A: Scantron Quality Computers at (800)777-3642 carries compatible
   serial cards made by Sequential Systems. [[email-masked]]
   These are third party cards, but they are available NEW. It is
   also possible to get a GENUINE APPLE Super Serial Card (used)
   from Sun Remarketing (Part no. 220-411) at (800) 821-3221,
   [[email-masked]], or http://www.sunrem.com/. ABC Direct at
   (800)800-3680 which carries former Applied Engineering products,
   might also have third party serial cards made by this company.
   The choices are:
 
   Scantron Quality Computers: carries Sequential Systems' serial
        card that is still manufactured and supported. Reasonably
        priced, NEW, and fully compatible with Super Serial Card.
   Sun Remarketing: carries genuine Apple Super Serial Card, but
        they are USED units.
   ABC Direct: MIGHT have Applied Engineering serial cards. These
        are super serial compatible and some have special features
        like memory buffers.
 
Q: Would a 28.8 modem work on a IIe without the Turbo ASB?
A: Yes, but it will automatically switch into 14.4 mode. The
   normal Super Serial Card maxes out at 19200, so when the 28.8
   modem senses that the computer is communicating with it at
   19200, it automatically locks out 28.8 functions. So you can
   use a 28.8 modem, but its fastest connection speed is useless.
 
Q: I want to fully utilize a 28.8 modem on the IIe, where can I
   find a Turbo ASB for my Super Serial Card?
A: Lightning Systems, P.O. Box 4, Mukwonago, WI 53149-0004
   BBS: (414) 363-4282 or send email to Ron Higgins at
   [[email-masked]]. The Turbo ASB is $27.00 each and the
   6551-ACIA serial chip required for it is $4.00 each.
   Shipping and handling is $3.00 per order in the USA, $5.00
   per order in Canada or Mexico, and $10.00 per order elsewhere
   All prices are US dollars and payment is required in US funds.
   Your email address should be sent with the order.
 
Q: What communications software works at 14.4 or 28.8 on a IIe,
   supports VT100, and does Zmodem.
A: ProTERM 3.1 for the Apple II, available at Scantron Quality
   Computers at (800)777-3642.
 
Q: I am willing to give up some features. What are the alternatives
   to ProTERM 3.1 and what would I be losing?
A: There is Zlink, which supports Xmodem and Ymodem transfers and
   has VT100 emulation. It can be downloaded from ftp sites such as
   ground.isca.uiowa.edu or apple2.caltech.edu (when asked for userid,
   use "anonymous"). There is also ReadyLink, available from ABC Direct
   (800)800-3680. ReadyLink supports Xmodem and Ymodem transfers and
   VT100 emulation. ReadyLink (like ProTERM) supports the mouse while
   Zlink does not. In both cases, you would lose a number of terminal
   emulations (ANSI, etc.) and transfer protocols (Zmodem, Kermit,
   etc.) available only under ProTERM 3.1. Also, ProTERM 3.1 has
   direct support for the Turbo ASB while Zlink and ReadyLink do not.
 
Q: Will the same cable that I use to connect my 2400 modem work
   with a 14.4 modem.
A: Maybe. There are two types of modem cables: the cheap variety
   with 3 wires inside which will not function reliably at high
   speeds and the hardware handshaking type, which have more wires
   inside. High speed modems require hardware handshaking cables
   to work reliably. It depends if you have a hardware handshaking
   cable on your 2400 or the cheap kind. Try the existing cable
   and if it dosn't work, get a new hardware handshaking serial
   cable (see below for source).
 
Q: Where do I get a serial cable? PC serial cables have the wrong
   connector.
A: Apple IIe serial cables are available at Scantron Quality
   Computers at (800)777-3642.
 
Q: I have an Apple IIGS. The control panel maxes out at 19200.
   Does this mean I need a serial card and a Turbo ASB to use
   a 28.8 modem?
A: No, the IIGS will take advantage of the 28.8's maximum speed
   via the regular serial port. The port can go up to 57600 when
   under the direct control of communications software regardless
   of what the control panel says.
 
Q: With a fast modem, how can the IIe connect to the internet?
A: Get an Internet Service Provider that has the option of a text
   based shell account. For email, Proline and METAL BBS's
   work well too.
 
Q: I'm on the Internet and running the lynx web browser. It dosn't
   look like Netscape Navigator at all. Where do I put in the URL?
A: Type "g" which will bring up a URL dialog. You can then type in
   the URL and hit return.
 
Q: How do I download an .SHK file through lynx? Selecting the link
   gives an unusable text dump.
A: Just highlight the link, but do not press return. Press "d"
   instead, which will bring up the download dialog.
 
Q: Does what apply to the IIe also apply to the //c?
A: Mainly. The //c requires a different cable, also available from
   Scantron Quality Computers at (800)777-3642. If the particular
   //c model is a IIc Plus, you can use a Macintosh high speed
   (hardware handshaking) modem cable with it, available in most
   computer stores. Also, the //c cannot use the Turbo ASB, so
   the fastest modems that can be fully utilized on a //c are
   14.4 modems.
 
Q: What about the IIGS?
A: What is said about the IIe applies to the IIGS except:
     1) The IIGS port can easily go up to 57600, so faster modems
        can be hooked up directly (no need for a Turbo ASB).
     2) The IIGS uses Macintosh high speed (hardware handshaking)
        modem cables available in any computer store.
     3) The IIGS can use its own modem software, such as Spectrum
        (available from Seven Hills at [email-masked]) which
        is more powerful and graphical.
     4) You will soon not need a shell account but instead can
        use your normal PC style (ie. SLIP or PPP) internet
        connection when GS TCP/IP and graphical web browser
        are released.
 
Q: GS TCP/IP! Neat. Where can I find more information about this
   soon to be released item?
A: Check out the URL http://www.winternet.com/~taubert/gstcp.html

-----
The Palmtree BBS  310-453-8726 v.32
Inet: [email-masked]