Subject: Apple Rare Card Scans Now Available From GSWV
From: [email-masked] (Cturley2)
Date: 17 Dec 1999 22:02:18 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

12/17/99 

Apple Rare Card Scans Now Available From GSWV
--------------------------------------------

Two color jpeg graphic files; AE.A2e.FastMath.card.Front.jpg and
AE.A2e.FastMath.card.Back.jpg - plus many other Apple card jpeg 
graphic color scans are now available for public viewing online.

Sent to me for scanning by Dr. Hank Levinson, the AE.A2e.FastMath.card
jpeg files are Applied EngineeringÕs Fast Math Card for the Apple IIe, 
Rev.1.0 released in 1991.

In a letter from Dr. Levinson, sent with the cards, he relates:

"It uses a National Semiconductor NS32081 floating point chip.  It gives
accuracy to 16 decimal places rather than AppleÕs 8 decimal places.  This
allows much finer (higher magnification) fractal images.  Also, certain
bugs in AppleÕs arthmetic are fixed.

As an example of this (if you have such a card to use)...Try;

10 A=1 * 1.00000011
20 PRINT A

and

10 A=1.00000011 * 1
20 PRINT A

They should both print 1.00000011.  But, the first one gives 1.00000006.
The chip with the heatsink is the NS 32081.  The ROM contains faster
routines for multiplecation, division, Pi, and sin x, cos x, etc. - also,
more accurate to more decimal places.  ItÕs manual is for more technical!"

My special thanks to Dr. Hank Levinson for sending this card and all others
also
for the scans to show their detail for all those interested in viewing them.

Larger - more detailed JPEG color graphic files of all Apple A2 <-> Mac
rare hardware cards furnished to me for such scans and public viewing can
be found from the following URL, as they become available:

http://www.grin.net/~cturley/gsezine/GS.WorldView/Dec99/Graphics/

...look inside of the folder named: 

NEW.CARD.SCANS

Cheers and Happy Holidays to All,
Tom