Subject: Computist Project and Spiradisc
From: [email-masked] (Andy McFadden)
Date: 5 Dec 1999 09:28:27 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

From _Hackers_, by Steven Levy:

'Mark's scheme involved arranging data in spiraling paths on the disk,
so information could not be accessed concentrically, like a needle following
a record, but in several spiraling paths.  That was why Mark called the
scheme "Spiradisk."  The different arrangement would thwart programs which
broke copy protection and allowed pirates to copy disks.  While not being
totally pirate-proof (nothing is), Mark's scheme would defy Locksmith, and
any other commercial scheme.  And would take a hell of a long time for
even a devoted hacker to crack.'

Heh.

http://tarnover.dyndns.org/computist/Issue.41/Page-28.jpg
http://tarnover.dyndns.org/computist/Issue.41/Page-29.jpg

--
Send mail to [email-masked] (Andy McFadden)
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/ (a/k/a www.spies.com/~fadden)
Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & news.admin.net-abuse.email