Subject: Re: GBBS - Null (and ProLine via telnet)
From: Jeff Jungblut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:53:29 -0800
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

In article <[email-masked]>, "Joel Ostroski" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> 3) I want to write an interface to get GBBS to respond to an Internet 
> connection.  I already have the gound work for the translation, but I 
> wanted to know if anyone knows about running GBBS without a modem but 
> a direct connection?  I am going to use a IBM 286 computer to act as 
> a middle man between the Internet and the serial port on my IIgs.

I did this with my old ProLine BBS last week and it was fairly 
straightforward.  Check it out:

http://pro-avalon.dynip.com (for a Java telnet client), or
telnet://pro-avalon.dynip.com

If you don't see ProLine's login prompt after you get the Connected 
message, press return a couple times and it'll show up. If you get the 
All Ports Busy message, then someone else is using the BBS, try again 
later.

Here's how I did it:

In ProLine's $/etc/rsrc/startup.rsrc file, I set it to load the NoModem 
module instead of the Modem module, and the modem.emulator driver 
instead of the hayes.ult.opt driver.

The IIe has a Super Serial card in it, so I reversed the modem/term 
jumper block to point to TERM.  I connected the SSC to the Mac's modem 
port using a Mac modem cable.

On the Mac, which has a fulltime cablemodem connection to the net, I'm 
running VersaTerm Terminal Server.  The input port is set to VersaTerm 
Telnet Tool.  In the terminal tool config, the IP address is set to the 
Mac's IP address and "Request no echo" is checked.

The output port is set to Serial Tool.  In the serial tool config, the 
baud rate is 19200, 8 bits, 1 stop, no parity, handshake: DTR only.

The terminal server's port #1 is active and ports 2-24 are disabled 
(only one connection allowed to the Apple II at a time, of course).

There's not much to look at on pro-avalon.  It's nearly a clean install 
of ProLine 2.0.  Only reason I hooked it up to the net was to answer my 
brother's challenge that "if I was smart, I'd hook up my old BBS to the 
Internet like this guy" with his old TRS-80 BBS:

http://www.searchlight.com/frank/milo.htm

-- 
Jeff Jungblut (remove "nospam." to reply)
http://www.port-charles.com/