Subject: Re: Focus Hard Drive/Laser 128 is a MESS!!! Help!!!
From: [email-masked] (Cturley2)
Date: 27 Jul 1999 00:24:14 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2.usergroups

Michael posted the following request for comment and help - as noted in quotes:

"Got a new focus hard drive IIe and tried it on two of my Laser 128's but had
bad problems.  The drive would not spin-up but did emit a high pitched
alternating alarm during start-up.  After about 10 tries on each computer
the drive finally stopped alarming and started spinning although slowly at
first and has yet to actually boot-up the computer.  I have switched the
slot 5 switch to external several times and attempted to clean the contacts
but nothing works.  What is wrong?  Alltech (alltech.com) sent a 3.5 disk
with software on it for an appleIIgs so did I get the wrong hard drive?  Is
it dead/crashed?  I have called alltech but no support is available till
next week.  If anyone knows anything that could help,  please share.

Link:  http://www.allelec.com/harddiap.htm

Thank You, Michael"

Hi Michael,
The fellow that handles most of that Alltech support is busy (no doubt),
tweeking about at KFest 99.  I can furnish the IIe Focus utility disk archive
to you if that would help you out.  I had something almost like what you
outlined happen with two of my own Focus IDE disks drives and their card on my
IIgs. 

A low-level format fixed both for me using the IIgs focus utility.  Perhaps the
same for you with the IIer Focus utility might fix your problem also.

Let me know how you'd like it sent to you - email of on a real disk via snail
mail?

Cheers,
Tom