Subject: Re: Apple IIgs hardware/software.
From: [email-masked] (Supertimer)
Date: 2 Mar 1999 08:23:20 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

"D. Michael Wicklund" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hello.  I have an Apple IIgs since 1988 and it still works until 2
>years ago when I moved back from Japan (military dependent) to San
>Diego.  The movers placed the keyboard in the bottom of the box and
>smashed it.  I haven't used it since.  I'm trying to find a replacement
>keyboard and I was wondering if there is any store in the San Diego
>region that might have them on stock, especially South Bay area (I'll be
>also looking for some other hardware like hard drives and stuff).

Just look for a Macintosh ADB keyboard.  Apple still makes these
as do third party vendors.  Macintosh ADB keyboards can
work on the Apple IIGS (and believe it or not, your old IIGS
keyboard would have worked with any ADB equipped
PowerMac)!  Even Apple's current AppleDesign keyboard, which
goes for about $40-$50 new, works with the IIGS.

>BTW, is there a web browser and FTP client program available for the
>Apple IIgs?  I intend to 'resurrect' my IIgs from its hibernation (and
>maybe my IIe as well).  It is the greatest computer I have ever used.

There is currently a web browser called Spectrum Internet Suite
(SIS for short).  Read about it at Seven Hills' web site:

http://www.sevenhills.com/applesoftware/index.htm

FTP also exists but only the beta testers currently have access to
it, they say.  You can read about it at the Apple II Delphi forum.
http://www.delphi.com/ Delphi has more info on that.

Telnet is freeware for the IIGS as is the TCP/IP for the IIGS.
An email client is in the works.

Also worth visiting, http://www.allelec.com/ Alltech Electronics
has various hardware and software for the Apple IIGS.  Want to
add a hard drive and 8MB?  This is the place.