Subject: Re: CP/M emulation on PC Transporter emulator?
From: [email-masked] (David Empson)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 13:05:32 +1200
Newsgroups: comp.emulators.apple2

InDizgize <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >
> >Supertimer wrote:
> >> 
> >> Can the PC Transporter, an IBM XT emulator that runs
> >> on the Apple II series, emulate a CP/M computer?
> >
> >I don't think an XT has enough speed to emulate a useable CP/M 2.2 or
> >Plus computer. You could probably use CP/M86 though.
> >
> >Liam Busey
> 
>   Quite probably correct Liam..   Another possible solution might be to
> replace the processor on the Transporter with one of the NEC V20(?) chips.

The PC Transporter's processor _is_ an NEC V30, so it has a built-in
8080 emulation mode.  I doubt that it would be practical to make use of
this, though, given the hardware environment in which the PC Transporter
operates.

> Those did Z-80 emulation right on the chip

Not Z80, only 8080.  This limits application support somewhat, as a fair
proportion of CP/M applications expect a Z80.  The standard tools that
come with CP/M, and the BDOS and command processor, are pure 8080.

Most of the interesting applications that I used to run on a
single-board CP/M machine required a Z80, including the C compiler,
Turbo Pascal, and the assembler/linker I used in preference to the
horrible standard ones.

-- 
David Empson
[email-masked]
Snail mail: P.O. Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand