Subject: Re: Reading a PRODOS ZIP disk with a Mac
From: [email-masked] (Supertimer)
Date: 28 Apr 1999 06:06:45 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

[email-masked] (Labelas Enoreth) wrote:

>Perhaps the problem is that the Mac zip driver is trying to load it,
>rather than a standard scsi driver? I had boundless problems with prodos
>formatted zips, forcing me to disable the iomega driver and manually load
>it with silverlining everytime I wanted to mount it in the finder (and
>silverlining would bitch about partition data needing to be updated)
>
>A side question though...actually, two.
>One, when you format something to the maximum PD volume size (32mb,
>right?) on an older (say, IIe or something with older ProDOS) machine,
>does it have the sense to just mark out the 'extra', or does it format it
>in a way that when you try to, say, mount it on a mac, it gets all
>confused because of the 'extra' space afterwards? I saw something like
>this happen with an old, old PC HD and driver, but I wondered...

If you were using a IIGS with a Zip disk, you'll want to format the Zip
disk as one large HFS volume, thus no empty space.

If you are using it with a IIe, then you'll want to partition the Zip disk
into three 32MB partitions.  Again, no empty space.

Then again, the empty space should not matter.