Subject: Re: slightly puzzled - 800k disk images...
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>

Plywoodchicken writes ...
> 
> Hello fellow subscribers..
> 
> I have recently bought a couple of 3.5" floppy drives for my IIGS and
> I got puzzling over how to move an 800k disk image from my PC to the
> IIGS diskette.
> 
> I know that I have to use a low density floppy, I also have a
> SuperSerial II card (I think it still works) that is connected to my
> PC (was used with ADT to transfer to my IIe).  I do not have a HDD for
> the IIGS (yet).
>

     ADT seems intended for transferring 5.25" disk images. It would not
be likely to work for transferring 3.5" images.

     The usual way to transfer 3.5" disk images as well as shrinked 3.5"
disks is via NULL modem. The built-in IIgs modem serial port works well
for this application. You will need a IIgs modem cable (preferably a
hi-speed cable), a NULL modem connector or cable, and a telecom program--
such as Spectrum, ProTERM, AnsiTERM, Modem MGR, Z-Link, ...-- running on
the IIgs.

     If the 3.5" disk image file is of the sort which has no compression,
then, it will not fit on a 3.5" diskette. One way to transfer such a file
when no hard disk, Zip disk, etc. is available is to set up a /RAM5 RAM
disk large enough to hold the image file-- about 850k is large enough.

> I was also wondering what the best way to format a 3.5" diskette for
> DOS 3.3 is.. do I just 'INIT HELLO' like on any 5.25"?
> 
 ....

     You need to use AmDOS or some similar scheme and it's not worth the
bother. As Wayne observed, you can get something like DOS 3.3 going on
3.5" diskettes but there do not seem to be any good utilities for handling
the files and dealing with 5.25"-to-3.5" transfers. Besides, too many DOS
3.3 programs are tied to 5.25" media and/or assume Slot 6 access.

Rubywand