Subject: Re: AppleWorks 5 on Ground?
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1999 14:50:46 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

Penman writes ...
>
> Sigh. Here we go again.  This is the reason a lot of people has decided
> not to use Ground anymore, since it's turning into a pirate site.

     Offering Appleworks on Ground seems like a fine idea. Regarding v5, only
the v5.1 update (about 327k in .shk) appears to be there. Where is the full
Appleworks 5 install on Ground?

> AppleWorks 5 is NOT public domain, and while we all know that it's not
> available anymore,

     At least your information about Appleworks commercial availability is more
accurate then the nonsense you've been spouting about MECC wares.

> many people such as Bev, the Lost Classics folk  and
> others are working, trying to get Apple Corporation to release it as
> public domain.

     Naturally, we all wish them well in this effort.

     In the mean time, it is worth noting that Apple has been pretty good about
permitting distribution of essential Apple II software and firmware which the
company owns. For example, ProDOS is not licensed; but, Apple does not harass
vendors and developers distributing their wares on ProDOS disks. Nor does Apple
act to close sites like Emulation Net which distribute ROM copies needed for
emulators like Bernie.

     It does not seem likely that we shall obtain public domain status for
"Appleworks" any time soon. The name is too valuable to Apple for current and
future word processor products. If we want to have classic Appleworks in the
public domain, then the first step should be to edit each version we wish to
see in PD-- mainly, v2.x, v3, and v5.1-- to replace "Appleworks" with some new
name. For instance, we could call it "AplIIworks" or "ClassicWrks"-- i.e. some
name which permits a direct, same-length substitution.

> Having illegal copies up on Ground makes that reclassification work that
> much harder.  Hopefully Steve will see this thread and remove it.
 ....

LOL! Starting this thread is _your_ mistake. Don't expect Steve to remove it.

Rubywand