Subject: Re: New chip in TWGS-- checking IIgs speed
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 11:38:05 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

"Trevor J. Mahan" writes ...
> 
> Hello everyone:
> 
> Well, I replaced the old TWGS 65C816 with the newer 65C816S8PL-14 and fired
> her up.  There is a noticeable speed difference, especially with loading
> System 6.0.  I need some help though with configuring it.  Rubywand or
> anyone with knowledge about these--How do I check what speed I'm truly
> running at?
 ....

     You can find a ProDOS 8 program selector Startup program which will give
you some idea of your speed on Uni-kl.de at ...

ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/apple2/gs/utils/launchers/ .

The file is SpeedGS.shk. (Use ShrinkIt or GS-ShrinkIt to uncompress the file on
your IIgs.)

     Besides showing date and time, SpeedGS gives speed in terms of a
multiplier for "Normal" IIgs speed (which is very close to 1MHz).  For example,
when our 10Mhz ZipGSx board is active and set at max, the SpeedGS display shows
Speed as "x10". Setting the board to 7Mhz gives a Speed of "x7"; and, going to
the Control Panel and setting Speed = Normal results in Speed showing as "x1".

     To get a better idea of small changes in speed, you can remove "INT" in
front of the parenthesis in, I think, Line 5. (The actual speed value may be
off a bit; but, you will gain an extra significant digit for making
comparisons.)

Rubywand