Subject: A2 News and Notes - August 2000
From: [email-masked] (Mark Percival)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 22:34:43 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2,comp.emulators.apple2,comp.sys.apple2.programmer,comp.sys.apple2.usergroups,comp.sys.apple2.gno,comp.sys.apple2.comm,alt.games.eamon

A2 News and Notes
August 2000

INDEX

* New GShisen on the Way
* MyEsource Cuts Prices
* Eamon Goes CD
* Bredon Software Public Domain--What Does it Mean for Merlin?
* Delphi Text To Be History?
* TIAB and TCL Now Shipping
* Zedcor's ZBASIC Goes Freeware
* Marinetti to go Open Source
* A2Central.com News
** LANceGS Group Purchase
** KFest Sessions Online
** A2Central.com To Expand Services

* New GShisen on the Way

Kelvin Sherlock, author of the wildly popular GShisen game for the
Apple IIgs stated in a message on Delphi that an update to the game
should be available soon.  At least one bug that affects playing a
game by ID will be fixed.

* MyEsource Cuts Prices

Dain Neater reported in a message on Delphi that he received an email
from MyEsource stating that instead of their annual summer sale, they
will be cutting prices on all Apple IIgs software.  Please check
http://www.myesource.com/sevenhills/applesoftware for details.

* Eamon Goes CD

Tom Zuchowski of the Eamon Adventurer's Guild has put together the
ultimate collection of Eamons on CD.  242 public domain adventures,
three Softdisk Eamons (with permission), and 16 years of the Eamon
Adventurer's Guild newsletter, all for $3 in the U.S. and
Canada--including shipping!  International users please contact Tom at
[email-masked] for details.

To order, send your check to:

Tom Zuchowski
7625 Hawkhaven Dr.
Clemmons, NC 27012-9408

* Bredon Software Public Domain--What Does it Mean for Merlin?

It was confirmed by reliable sources that Anne Bredon, widow of the
late Glen Bredon, prolific Apple II software author, has placed all of
his work into the public domain.  However, it's not clear if his
excellent Apple II and IIgs assembler, Merlin, can be placed in the
public domain by Mrs. Bredon as its rights may be owned by Roger
Wagner Publishing.  More on this as it unfolds.

* Delphi Text To Be History?

Delphi premium account subscribers received a letter from Delphi
management around the middle of the month, stating that they will no
longer support (nor charge for) text access following November 1,
2000.  The implications are staggering--every other major Apple II
forum that has ceased text access has quickly ceased existing.  The
Forums can also be accessed via the World Wide Web, and that access
will continue to be supported.

* TIAB and TCL Now Shipping

Juiced.GS announced that the Time in a Bottle CD Collection and The
Compleat Lamp on CD are now shipping!  Time in a Bottle includes a
nearly complete collection of the entire Syndicomm library housed in
Genie's A2 RoundTable through 1999--two CDs worth.  The Compleat Lamp
is a CD collection of every issue of GenieLamp A2, GenieLamp A2Pro,
and The Lamp! that has ever been published.  See
http://www.wbwip.com/juiced.gs/ for details.

* Zedcor's ZBASIC Goes Freeware

Howard Katz, director of The Lost Classics Project, announced that
Zedcor has given permission to reclassify ZBASIC, its excellent BASIC
compiler, as freeware.

* Marinetti to go Open Source

Richard Bennett, author of the IIgs TCP/IP stack Marinetti, has
decided to release the upcoming version as open source.  For details,
please check http://cgi.zipworld.com.au/~kashum/mosp.pl?cmd=index

* A2Central.com News

Lots of great news for this month from A2Central.com:

** LANceGS Group Purchase

As a public service, A2Central.com has coordinated two group purchases
of LANceGS cards from ///SHH Systeme of Germany.  As of this writing,
the first cards have reached the states and are being distributed via
U.S. mail, and the second set is due to arrive in the U.S. within
days.

*** KFest Sessions Online

More of the KansasFest 2000 videos are online, including sessions on
Apple IIgs emulation, the keynote address, the roast, and others. 
See http://www.a2central.com/ for your download fix.

*** A2Central.com Expanding Services

As Delphi bids a slow retreat from the text locked world of the Apple
II, A2Central.com announces that it will be working on implementing
text based services for Apple II users.  Additionally, it will
continue the services it hosts now, and provide homes for The Lost
Classics Project, The Lamp!, A2 News and Notes, and many, many other
services.  Check http://www.a2central.com/ daily.  You will see it
grow before your eyes.

* Sign Off

A2 News and Notes is produced with real or emulated Apple II computers
using Appleworks 5.1 and Hermes with the occasional assist from
ProTERM Mac on the Macintosh.  Apple II Forever!

A2 News and Notes is (c) copyright 2000 by Ryan M. Suenaga, M.S.W.
All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed herein are those of the individual authors and do
not necessarily represent the opinions of the copyright holder and
publisher.  The publisher does not guarantee the accuracy or
suitability of any information included herein.  We reserve the right
to edit all letters and copy.

Material published in this edition may be reprinted free of charge
anywhere provided this copyright notice is included.

Mark R. Percival
Montreal, Quebec

An Apple II fanatic since 1979.