Subject: Re: Help! Apple IIGS ROM 01 changing Battery
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:36:45 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

Bruce Baker writes ...
> 
> There is a wonderful way to do this easily without soldering.
> I directed him
> to intrec's site where they have an instruction sheet on this.  It entails
> leaving both leads intact.
 ....

     Yes; the article by Jerry Cline (on the Intrec site at
http://www.intrec.com/proterm-a2/a2_tips_tricks/a2_gsbatt.txt ) does a very
good job of describing IIgs battery replacement.

     Making the new battery's leads 'springy' (by wrapping around a large
sewing needle) and slipping the springy leads over the old battery leads
sticking up from the motherboard is a good idea. (It's something I've come
across before but not yet included in the FAQs.)

     One detail about creating the springy leads is omitted: An advantage of
using a large sewing needle (instead of, say, a large paperclip) is that the
needle tapers. This gives you a gradually smaller diameter 'spring' which
makes it easier to get a decently tight fit when the larger end is slipped
over a lead on the motherboard.

     As for the cautions for dealing with the old battery listed in the
article, snipping off the old battery's leads at the battery to reduce the
chance of a direct short is a good safety measure. It's hard to be sure an
old battery is completely dead; and, a direct short could produce enough heat
to burst the battery and/or start a fire.

Rubywand