Subject: Re: Q: Swapping Motherboards on GS --> Damage hazard?
From: Rubywand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 16:45:52 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2

Deacon Blue writes ...
> 
> Hi
> 
> I am planning on swapping a ROM03 motherboard from a US-style 110V powered
> IIGS  into a European 220V powered IIGS-case which originally had a ROM01
> board from before.
> 
> Would this be straightforward do-it-yourself procedure without potential
> hazard for making damage?  Is any manual soldering required for this
> operation?
> 
 ....

     I've pulled our ROM-01 motherboard a few times to do assorted mods and do
not recall having to do any soldering stuff. Just be sure to keep notes about
things like board locations and use whiteout or some other kind of marker to
mark positions of connectors you unplug.

     There are a few things it may help to watch for:

o- The little front panel can be a pain to remove. You need a couple moderately
wide-bladed screwdrivers to twist in the slots (on the bottom) to get the panel
to unlatch.

o- When replacing the little panel, be careful not to catch the Speaker leads
between the panel and the motherboard.

o- The motherboard has some catches plus 2-3 bolts which hold it in place with
nuts from the top. If removing it seems difficult, it probably means you have
missed unscrewing one of the nuts.

o- The metal shielding tacked onto the bottom and back is a constant shorting
hazard-- it's easy to deform the shielding and have some part stick out too far.
When replacing the motherboard, you might consider pulling out and scrapping the
shielding. (This may increase TV/Radio interference. My tests did not pick up
any differences with/without the shielding; but, some users say they have
noticed a difference in places like dorms.)  If you leave the shielding in
place, make sure no part of it is going to touch the motherboard where it
shouldn't.

     Let us know how the swap turns out.

Rubywand