Subject: Re: WTB:Apple II 32k RAM IC's for expansion boards
From: [email-masked] (Scott Alfter)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:17:23 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2.marketplace

<[email-masked]> 
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
X-Complaints-To: [email-masked]
Cache-Post-Path: chakotay.ncc74656.org!salfter@localhost
X-Cache: nntpcache 2.3.3 (see http://www.nntpcache.org/)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In article <[email-masked]>,
Wayne Stewart  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>tarage wrote:
>> Just as a matter of curiousity...if you populated a RAM board with fast
>> RAM (say, <90 ns) would that make any difference in the operation of the
>> board, or does the board design itself act as some speed limiter...?
>
>I wondered about that too a while back so I took a RAM board, filled it
>with the slowest RAM chips I had, 200ns. Timed copying files to and from it
>and booting programs from it. Then changed over to the fastest RAM I had
>which was 70ns and timed the same things and couldn't seem to find any
>difference.

The fastest that any memory in an 8-bit II will need to run is 500 ns.  This
is equivalent to the ~2 MHz rate at which memory is accessed (memory
accesses alternate between the processor and the video generator).  Pretty
much any old memory you'll run across will be more than fast enough, and no
performance benefit is derived from using faster memory.  (Putting PC133
SDRAM in your x86 box that was designed for PC100 SDRAM will likewise result
in no increase in performance.)

  _/_
 / v \
(IIGS(  Scott Alfter (remove Voyager's hull number for email address)
 \_^_/  http://salfter.dyndns.org
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE5uD9sVgTKos01OwkRAslNAJ9kTe4hzEeoz1SmZuvp2gYAO5lEwACfY6Px
MHpUhPZbwZzEnBaZi73dTAI=
=porK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----