Subject: Re: kinda basic, but assembler help needed
From: [email-masked] (David Empson)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 00:42:42 +1200
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2.programmer

Matt Jenkins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Liam Busey wrote:
> 
> > If you're using a IIgs just enter the monitor, type an '!', hit return,
> > and you're in the mini-assembler.
> 
> IIRC, the mini-assembler is available on all Apple II's except the
> unenhanced //e (rare these days)

Summary: the "!" triggered mini-assembler is available in the enhanced
IIe, all firmware versions of the IIc except the original one, and all
firmware versions of the IIgs.

The original version of the mini-assembler was effectively part of
Integer BASIC, so it was only available if your machine had Integer
BASIC in ROM (original Apple ][, or an Integer ROM card in a ][+), or if
you use the INT command under DOS 3.3.

The original mini-assembler is entered from the monitor using "F666G".
It works a little differently to later built-in versions.  For example,
you can enter monitor commands while in the mini-assembler by preceding
them with a dollar sign.  The only way to get out of it is to use
another monitor command, e.g. "$FF69G" to return to the monitor, or "$"
then Ctrl-C and Return to go back to BASIC.

The enhanced IIe firmware introduced a new version of the
mini-assembler, which is entered from the monitor using the ! command.
Exiting it is simple: press return without typing anything else on the
command line.

The IntBASIC and enhanced IIe versions of the mini-assembler only
support 6502 mnemonics and addressing modes (as do the corresponding
disassemblers in the monitor).

The Apple IIc disassembler also supports 65C02 mnemonics and addressing
modes.  The original IIc firmware doesn't have a mini-assembler, but the
"UniDisk" revision and later does.  It works the same as the IIe one,
except that it also supports 65C02 mnemonics and addressing modes.

The IIgs also has a built-in mini-assembler, which supports the full
65816 instruction set.  It works the same as the IIc and enhanced IIe
versions, and has one extra feature: you can type in the first statement
after the ! on the monitor command line.

e.g.

]CALL-151
*!300:LDA #0      will redisplay as   00/0300: A9 00       LDA #00
!

(With the IIe and IIc versions, you have to type the ! by itself, then
enter the first instruction on a separate line.)

-- 
David Empson
[email-masked]
Snail mail: P O Box 27-103, Wellington, New Zealand