Subject: Re: Suggested change to add volume numbering to .dsk disk image files
From: Phoenyx <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 13:08:38 -0500
Newsgroups: comp.sys.apple2,comp.emulators.apple2

> Personally, I think all the people talking about a new disk image
> format should take a look at the 2IMG format first and see if it won't
> handle what they are trying to do.

Yes! Wasn't that part of the reasoning in the 2IMG design? Unfortunately,
there are only a few emulators still supported by developers and these
are primarily GS emulators. At least they already support the basic 2IMG
format.

IMHO, another image format would be of little value, esp' if it's only use
is for a few copy protected game disks. It won't help any of the existing
programs such as ApplePC or Appler.

Of course, these disks may be important enough to someone that they can
justify the effort but even then, this option is limited. At the moment I
can think of no 8 bit emulators which access the 2IMG image format at all.

IMHO, the GS emulators offer a better solution than the 8 bit systems. The
only time I use any of the 8 bit emulator programs is on my old laptop
which is too slow to emulate anything else. Even then, it is not used
that often since the speed is comparable to my Transwarped IIe. It's
only benefit is the transportability. Well, I take that statement back. I
have recently used Apple Oasis on my Linux system using a new application
called Win4Lin by Trelos, but that's another message thread in itself.

These are the emulators I know of that might be able to use a new image
format.

Applewin	= Maybe? Source is available but it's not actively being
		  developed that I know of.

Apple Oasis	= Maybe? Still supported by the author who would prefer
		  using his existing .A4W format. 2IMG is currently not
		  supported at all but may be added eventually.

XGS32		= Maybe? Supports 2IMG images but is not currently being
		  supported actively. Perhaps Steve will consider
		  upgrading it one more time.

Kegs		= Yes. Currently supports 2IMG format as read only. Kent
		  has mentioned that he would consider this upgrade and
		  probably implement it. Note, it is possible to access
		  2IMG files as read/write with a small hack to the
		  source, but it may be unstable. I have used this method
		  successfully for quite some time and haven't seen any
		  problems. Caveat Emptor.

Bernie		= Yes. Still actively developed. I know only a little
		  about this emulator but I expect the authors would be
		  willing to adapt to 2IMG format changes.

Sweet16		= Yes? Like Bernie, I know little about this one. I also
		  expect the maintainer of this system would be willing
		  to adapt to the 2IMG format changes.

AppleUni	= Maybe? The author is still around and claims to still
		  work on this ][+ emulator. I have not talked to him in
		  quite some time and can only guess his response. Since
		  I have seen very little development here for quite some
		  time, I doubt this system will adapt.

These are all the ones I can think of offhand. It's too bad there are so
few 8 bit emulators which are actively supported. There are a couple of
*nix based, 8 bit II's which are available and have limited support but
there has been very little developments with them. I expect they would
not be upgraded right away, if at all. Esp' since most of them only
support the dsk image anyhow.

-- 

Thank you for your time and interest. I hope it was helpful
or at least interesting.

Phoenyx,

Apple2 user since March 1984

Links to Phoenyx's pages:
preferred..... http://zip.to/Phoenyx_A2
alternate..... http://www.tinyangeldesigns.com/Apple2